Wednesday, September 19, 2012

G'day!

Where to begin? Ok, let's start with I'M EXHAUSTED. And I'll back up from there.
This blog was supposed to chronicle my misadventures, etc of being on location with this amazing job I got 15 months ago (hence the name). Well, it turns out I worked so much I had only a little time to do incredible, fantastic, amazingly fun and envy-inspiring things, and once I did them I was WAY too tired to write about them. So I Facebooked everything instead of writing much of ANYTHING, and everyone thought everything was very awesome, which it was, so I guess: Mission Accomplished.
But the point was to write. Actually, my entire point in my life is to write. Which lead me to the ultimate decision to quit my amazing job - because amazing or not, if I'm not doing what I was made to do, why do anything? (...and then Bianca puts on a beret and a scarf, lights a cigarette and stares out the window for 4 days. Deep... like I said, I'm exhausted. And that can make me sorta weird and filterless. Enjoy!)
It wasn't that dramatic. But you can only have so many moments of clarity before you start to feel like a grand idiot to stay in a situation that, though very lovely, comfortable and secure, does not work for you anymore. So I left my steady paycheck, brilliant and supportive boss, and the comforts of home to do this:
Everything I've always wanted to do.
And when I put it out there like that and get both excited and choked-up at the same time, I have no doubt I made the perfect decision.
All of the above landed me in Sydney two hours ago. And now here I sit in my best friend Stella's apartment, writing and eating an entire package of her sweet biscuits (think cookies) while she works all day.
Australia has been a travel fantasy ever since I got my first passport. When Stella booked a movie here, we had the whole "You should totally come!" "Yes, I'm totally visiting!!" conversation that always happens when a friend gets a cool location, but this time it resonated. A free place to stay with my very best friend in a city I've been dying to travel to for 15 years is hard to pass up- but what about my job that I had no intention of leaving until I had put in two solid years because two years sounds better than one? (Please re-read previous paragraphs for answer if necessary.)
I'm so happy to be here for so many reasons- some glaringly obvious (I heard the dudes are awesome.), some incredibly personal (so I'm not saying what they are)- and I'm committed to honoring my decision to create the life I want by making every moment worthwhile; I'm thrilled to have the opportunity once again to share those moments with all of you.
This afternoon those moments- Jesus. It's not even 10am here...
Today, those moments will probably amount to not much more than finding a grocery store to replace Stella's biscuits, napping, and maybe hitting the gym. After 15 months of being on-call non-stop for work and getting no more than 12 hrs of sleep in the 4 days leading up to my trip, the wall that I've slammed into is a dense, unforgiving concrete and has knocked me on my ass. It may not sound like much because these are chores most of us do pretty often, but right now its everything I want to do.
So again: Mission Accomplished.
My first look at Australia from the plane at dawn...


1 comment: