Friday, September 21, 2012

"AAAaaaaahhh!!!!!!!"

...is what Stella and I did when we ran into each other at the elevator, seeing one another for the first time in over two months. Lemme back up--
So in my stupor yesterday I never mentioned anything about my flight, and I actually had some things worth mentioning: it was jam-packed, my overhead light didn't work therefore I couldn't read or do the hours of leftover work I still had (have? ahem.) to do , I sat next to a chatty lady (sigh.), we had to maneuver around some thunderstorms which made me very nervous because I watched every single episode of Lost and frankly I wasn't in the mood to work so hard to survive, and TIME STOPPED.
I swear to God. We took off from LA in the pitch black night. I watched a movie (What to Expect While You're Expecting. Stop judging me.). I ate dinner. I dozed off- the little flight status thing read: 12 hrs remaining. I woke up-11 hrs remaining...
I did this between every 15 - 55 min for about 4 hours before I gave up and watched another movie (Snow White & the Huntsman. Kristen Stewart, eh. I don't buy it.) I kept falling asleep and having to rewind so the 2 hour movie took at least 3. Not to be tedious, but my point in chronicling everything is to show that at least 9 hours had passed since we departed LA and in all that time, there was not a single glimmer of light in the sky. NO SUN AT ALL.
Having to face the pitch black sky out my window every time I opened my eyes forever totally messed with my head, like 30 Days of Night. I got restless and agitated which made me more tired, but I was too agitated to sleep. ("Why didn't you take a sleeping pill?!" asked Stella. "Because I'M AN IDIOT," answered Bianca.) I re-wrapped myself in my blanket and tried Sleep Position #67: body shrunken into a tight ball, pillow jammed under the jawbone, scarf and overshirt balled into a pillow against the window. I shoved my head into the pillow and willed myself asleep... no. I opened my eyes and stared into the black on the other side of my window- and I lost my breath.
I hadn't noticed before, but it wasn't pitch black outside. Instead, there were more stars than I had ever seen. My first thought was, "I wonder if we're in outer space." Out of habit, I reached for my iPhone before my mind caught up. I would never be able to see the stars in the photo, only the black hole that had haunted me since take-off would register. I left the phone alone. Instead I stared out into the crowded sky and attempted to burn the picture, and the peace and spaciousness that came with it, in my mind. I had an emotional moment, just me and the stars, and when I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore, they finally slid closed into a deep and dreamy 2 hour sleep. It felt incredible.
The rest of it flew by: another movie (Five Year Engagement. Harmless.), breakfast, and the first act of Fast Five (LOVE.) before I landed and stumbled through my first day. I accomplished my gym/food/nap plan (GFN?), squealed & hugged Stella, and little else.
Today I started my writing routine. I'm in love with it. After, I wandered the area gradually making my way to my friend's offices in Darlinghurst just up the road from Haymarket where Stella lives. I'm in heaven as I walk the streets, Korean BBQ joint after Korean BBQ joint beckon me inside. I think we're officially in Koreatown, but Chinatown is super nearby. Asian markets seem to equal the number of regular grocery markets, there's tons of Japanese, Thai and Chinese food places in between yogurt shops. Basically, I'm always hungry once I leave the apt.
At my friend's office, we walked onto the rooftop porch to take in the sunset view- a horrific caw rang out and seemed to echo over Sydney. "What the hell was that?" I asked my friend. He pointed out a pretty white cockatoo in a tree not to far away. I couldn't believe such a huge sound could come from such a pretty little thing-
Until it opened its wings into an impressive stretch and lurched out another call. Imagine James Earl Jones' voice coming out of Nicole Kidman- it wasn't exactly like that, but it wasn't exactly not like that either. My friend also told me about the fruit bats that fly through town, and now I'm obsessed. Austin has quaint cute little bats at dusk, and Sydney has these massive flying animals that careen through town looking for fruit and nuts. I'm now determined to find one. In the meanwhile, check this out...
I want, I want, I want...

my new writing den = my happy place
I have an old friend named John West!
So I bought his tuna!





1 comment:

  1. Girlfriend, your voice sounds AMAZING. Good to hear you back.

    ReplyDelete